- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 5 servings ServingsServings
- 2 lbs :lamb stew meat
- 1/2 lb :green or brown lentils
- 1 lb :fresh spinach or 8 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1 :onion
- 2 cloves :garlic
- 2 :carrots
- 1 1/2 oz :margarine
- 1 tablespoon :olive oil
- 14 oz :peeled tomatoes
- Salt and freshly :ground black pepper
- 2 dried :chilli peppers (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon :cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon :ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons :parsley or fresh coriander
- Wash the lentils in cold water. Trim the fat from the lamb and dice the meat into 1 in cubes. If you are using fresh spinach, wash it thoroughly.
- Finely slice the onion and garlic, and peel and slice the carrots into rounds. Place 1/2 ounce of the margarine and the olive oil into a large casserole.
- Heat until the margarine melts and sizzles, and then add the lamb cubes, stirring until they are browned. Leaving the fat in the casserole, remove the lamb with a slotted spoon and set side.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrots and cook over a medium heat until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, lamb pieces, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, optional chillies, lentils and enough water to just cover the mixture. Stir in the cumin and simmer for 1 1/4 hours, until the lentils are cooked.
- Add a little more water if the mixture begins to dry. Set the mixture aside when cooked. Cook the spinach in 1 ounce of the margarine with a little salt and the ground coriander.
- Reheat the lentil mixture and stir in the cooked spinach. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or fresh coriander and serve.