With only 10 minutes needed to prep this dessert before it hits the freezer, what could be easier than this refreshing lemon granita?
- Prep Time
- 4 - 6 servings ServingsServings
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Cool.
- Add lemon zest and juice.
- Pour into 2 metal ice cube trays with dividers removed, or a metal bowl, or a 9-inch square baking pan and freeze.
- After about 1-1/2 hours, remove from freezer and rake a fork through the ice, to fluff it up.
- Return to freezer for about 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer about 20 minutes before serving, so ice is easy to scoop.
An easy way to zest a lemon is to use a grater with small holes and grate the peel off the lemon directly over a bowl to it. Be sure to use only the colored part of the peel. 1 lemon yields approximately 1 tablespoon zest. Zest is best grated fresh and used immediately.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER