A refreshing summer salad with artichokes and almonds and peppers is easy to throw together at the last minute. Looks fancy and tastes amazing.
Feel free to make it simpler by using canned or frozen artichokes.
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 5 fresh artichoke hearts, cooked*, cleaned* and halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat butter or margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat, add garlic and red bell pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add artichokes and lemon juice. Stir in almonds, salt and pepper and sauté for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and top with parsley. Serve immediately.
4. *To prepare artichokes, trim outer bottom leaves and stem. Blanch in salted, boiling water with lemon juice for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
5. Remove from the water and cool. Remove leaves and reserve for another use. With a spoon, scoop out the hairy choke and reserve the hearts. This may seem like a hassle, but you’ll find that in terms of flavor and texture, using fresh artichoke hearts instead of canned makes a big difference.
6. If you’re in a hurry, though, you can use artichoke bottoms from a can, drained and rinsed.
Almond Board of California