I keep pre-shredded cheese around for when I am in a hurry, but something is added to keep the shreds from returning to their unshredded state. When you have the time (like this easy recipe) opt for shredding your own.
If you're in a super hurry to get dinner on the table you can cook it in your microwave loosely covered on medium power (about 60%) for 6-8 minutes
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound rotini or penne pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese (low-fat ok)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella (low-fat ok)
- 1 (32 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- Parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Boil water in a large (4 qt. minimum) pot. Add pasta and cook about one minute less than package directions (it will continue to cook while sauced later (the lasagna, not you).
2. While the pasta is cooking, pour about a cup of sauce into a large casserole dish.
3. When the pasta is cooked, drain and pour it over the sauce. Top with spoonfuls of ricotta and handfuls of mozzarella.
6 Pour remaining sauce over top.
7 Using a large spoon (wooden preferred), mix up the pasta from the bottom, making sure that every bit of pasta is covered evenly.
8 Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20 minutes, or until the top gets a little crusty.
9 Let everyone serve themselves. Remember the title!