Feeling lazy? Make challah in a bag.
We've made some updates to the preparation. The recipe is now officially foolproof. The easiest no mess challah on the planet, anyone can do it.
This challah recipe just happens to have no eggs, so is vegan too!
Get all the ingredients you need delivered to your door with Amazon Fresh.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 ChallahServings
1 tablespoons of active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tablespoons white sugar
½ tablespoons salt
⅓ cup canola oil
3 cups all-purpose flour + ¼ cup
1 egg for basting (Optional. For vegan challah, substitute olive oil)
Sesame seeds for topping
- In a 1 gallon plastic ziplock bag, add the yeast, water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of flour.
- Give the bag a little shake. Don't work too hard- remember, it's a lazy challah!
- Place the bag in a bowl of warm water for 30 mins.
- Remove from bowl, shake, release air from bag, and place on the table for 1 hour. Flip bag every 20 mins. The dough should be very wet. It will start to bubble and self-knead. WHOA.
- After the 1 hour, add ¼ cup flour and give the bag another shake. This makes the dough not stick to the bag.
Leave the bag for 1 hour and 30 mins to rise. It should still be a wet dough. If it's not rising, flip it over and knock it down. If the dough is wet, the recipe will turn out amazing.
Preheat oven to 300℉/150°C.
On a well-floured surface, separate the dough and stretch out 3 strands. Braid.
Baste with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds (optional for vegan challah, substitute olive oil). Leave to rise for 15 mins before it goes in the oven.
Bake on a non stick tray for 40 mins or until golden on top.