Middle Eastern turnovers get their flavor from the lamb and the amazing array of spices. If you use pre made puff pastry these turnovers come together very quickly.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 turnovers ServingsServings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 sheets pre-made puff pastry dough, thawed
- 2 eggs, whisked
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and water and sauté until caramel- ized, around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
3. In the same pan where you caramelized the onions, add the ground lamb, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, salt, ginger, cayenne pepper and black pepper and cook over medium-high heat until cooked through, around 5-7 minutes. Stir the lamb mixture occasionally.
4. Add the caramelized onions to the cooked ground lamb mixture. Stir in the all-purpose flour until the flour has dissolved completely and the liquid from the meat has reduced, around 2 minutes over medium-high heat. The lamb mixture should be thick.
5. On a flat surface, slightly roll out the pre-made puff pastry dough to a 10”x10” square. With a sharp knife, slice the pastry into six squares. Spoon a heap- ing tablespoon of meat into the center of each square. Brush the edges of the square with the whisked egg.
6. Fold the squares over the filling to form a triangle. With a fork, press down the edges to seal the turnovers.
7. Place the turnovers a few inches apart on four baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with the egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.
Tip: These lamb turnovers can be made ahead of time and frozen. To reheat, just defrost the turn- overs, place on a baking sheet and heat in the oven uncovered.