Southern-Style Chicken is classic picnic food. It's great cold. Just pack it up in a basket with a bottle of wine, and head out to the park for a gorgeous day.
This recipe is a real winner. In place of the classic deep-fry method, the chicken is baked in the oven coated in an incredible combination of flavor packed ingredients that produce juicy, crispy, addicting chicken every time.
Related: Super Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
1 tablespoon McCormick fried chicken seasoning (or your favorite chicken seasoning)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pull off skin using a dry paper towel and place in prepared pan.
- Rub fried chicken seasoning into the chicken.
- Mix mayonnaise and mustard to blend, and then spread over chicken, coating all surfaces.
- Coat both sides of chicken with bread crumbs and arrange in prepared pan.
- Liberally spray non-stick cooking spray over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Chicken should be nicely browned and crunchy. Serve immediately.
Substitute 2 tablespoons olive oil for the mayonnaise or just use 3 tablespoons of olive oil or mayonnaise if you are not quite the Dijon fan that I am.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.