This quick-prep, healthy Mexican recipe is like a great salad wrapped in a warm tortilla.
- Prep Time
- 4 servings ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup:flour
- :Dried oregano (as directed)
- 1/2 teaspoon:salt
- 1/4 teaspoon:ground red pepper
- 1 pound:mild firm white fish (such as tilapia), cut into 1x3-inch strips
- Olive:Olive or vegetable oil (as directed)
- 3 cups:shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups:shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup:chipotle mayonnaise (prepared or homemade**)
- 8 :(7-inch) flour tortillas, warmed*
- 1/2 cup:salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 :fully ripened avocado from Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- In shallow bowl, combine flour, 2 teaspoons oregano, salt and red pepper. Coat fish with flour mixture; shake to remove excess. In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup oil until hot but not smoking.
- Add fish; cook until golden brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn and repeat on other side; drain on paper towels. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine lettuce and cabbage; toss with chipotle mayonnaise (or serve chipotle mayonnaise on the side).
- To serve: Place warm tortillas on flat surface. Place on half of each tortilla lettuce/cabbage mixture and fish, dividing equally; top with salsa and avocado. Fold tortilla in half over the filling. Serve immediately.
*To heat tortillas: Place tortillas on a plate, cover with a dampened paper towel; microwave on high until warm, about 1 minute. Discard paper towel; wrap tortillas in a cloth napkin to keep warm.
**To prepare chipotle mayonnaise: Combine 1/3 cup mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon sauce from canned chipotle in adobo sauce.
Contributed by:Avocados from Mexico