Watch me make Avgolemono Soup, an easy Greek favorite that combines chicken broth with rice. The soup is flavored with lemon and thickened with eggs. Avgolemono can usually be made from ingredients you have in the pantry and fridge. Think of it as kosher Greek penicillin.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice
- 3 Eggs
- Juice of 3 lemons (6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice)
- Place chicken broth in a 4- to 6-quart soup pot. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When rice is cooked, remove pot from heat.
- Place eggs in a bowl and beat well. Beat in lemon juice.
- While continuing to beat eggs vigorously, ladle out about 1 cup of chicken broth and beat it into the eggs. Pour egg and broth mixture back into the pot.
- Return pot to heat and stir while broth thickens, but do not let it boil. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of QUICK & KOSHER Recipes From The Bride Who Knew Nothing by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2007) - BUY NOW