Coarse sea salt is wonderful to grill with because it does not melt from the grill’s flames or high heat. The result is a crunchy pop of saltiness in every bite of juicy burger.
Looking for more burgers? Check out 9 Burgers 9 Ways with 8 Homemade Condiments
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 large onion, sliced into ½ inch thick rounds
Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
28-ounces ground chuck, at least 20% fat content (we like Grow and Behold for it's awesome flavor)
Coarse sea salt or Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
8 slices pastrami (we love Grow and Behold peppery pastrami)
4 hamburger buns, 8 large slices of challah or large lettuce leaves for lettuce wraps (if Jamie is coming over)
Garnishes: avocado slices, sliced tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles
Preheat grill to medium.
1. Brush onion slices with evoo and place on heated grill and cook until dark brown on both sides. Add pastrami slices to grill to crisp up, be sure to turn often to prevent burning.
2. Divide meat into 4 even amounts. Loosely form meat into hamburger patties about 4 ½ inches wide and 1 ½ inches thick. Make an indentation with your thumb in the center of each patty (this will keep the patty from puffing up as the meat gets hot and creates steam). Season patties with evoo, salt and pepper.
3. Grill burgers, on each side about 5-7 minutes for medium-rare. While burgers are grill, brush buns or challah with evoo and lightly toast buns on grill.
4. Place a burger on each bun half, or lettuce leaf, top with pastrami, a pile of onions, avocado slices, tomato slice and ketchup and mustard.
Got Rain? No prob!
Preheat broiler to low.
1. Broil onion slices for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until browned. Add pastrami slices and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
2. Broil patties on each side for 3 minutes for medium rare.