This recipe for Jalapeño Latkes with Avocado Cream Sauce is spicy and savory and oh so addictive. It is the perfect Mexican-inspired alternative to traditional latkes on Chanukah.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 pattiesServings
- 3 cups (about 1 lb.) russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 2 jalapeños, deseeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced, plus more for garnish
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup oil
Avocado Cream Sauce:
- 1 large avocado
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Juice from 1 lime, plus more limes for garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
1. Make avocado cream sauce by combining all ingredients besides milk in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add milk to get desired consistency. Adjust salt if needed and set aside.
2. To make latkes, shred potatoes with a hand grater or food processor.
3. Wring out all the moisture with a strainer and paper towels, and then add in the onion, jalapeños, garlic, cilantro, eggs, flour, salt, and cumin, and combine.
4. Heat canola oil in a large sauté pan. Set aside a rack over paper towels. Scoop two tablespoon dollops of the potato mixture, place in frying pan, flattening slightly, and fry until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Then flip and fry the other side. Drain on a rack.
5. Serve latkes immediately with avocado cream sauce. Garnish with cilantro and limes.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Winter 2014 Subscribe Now