Spicy bean soup with just a hint of smokiness is a comfort when the weather turns chilly. The wine and oregano give this tomato-based bean soup a distinctive flavor. You'll find it's a bit spicy and slightly smokey.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 6 cups water
3 cups canned chicken (or beef) broth (or vegetable broth)
¾ cup dry red wine
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 10 baby carrots
- 10 baby zucchini
- 1 frozen crushed garlic cube
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Place onion, water, chicken broth, wine, tomatoes, white beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, carrots, zucchini, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper in a 6-quart stockpot. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 18-20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER