This recipe comes from the kitchen of Chef Elior Balbul, executive chef at the Brooklyn-based Israeli eatery Alenbi. Alenbi is part of a growing number of Israeli restaurants in the U.S. that have emerged in recent years and are presenting Israeli cuisine in a modern, fresh way.
LOVE Israeli Food? Check out 70 Israeli Recipes to Make Today!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 medium black sea bass filet (skinless and boneless)
5 cups fresh fava beans
1 cup Green almonds (optional)
2 cups green chickpeas (or canned chickpeas)
1 green chili pepper
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1 cup cilantro
1 cup baby spinach
1 cup fresh parsley
1 cup fresh basil
½ cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
1. Add EVOO to a sauté pan over high heat. (Save some for dressing the salad.)
2. Add chickpeas to the pan and roast to char.
3. Remove chickpeas from the heat, peel them and set them aside in a large mixing bowl.
4. Blanche fava beans for 3 minutes.
5. Shock fava beans in an ice bath, peel, and add to mixing bowl.
6. Thinly slice green almonds, shallots and chili peppers and add to mixing bowl.
7. Coarsely chop cilantro, spinach, parsley, and basil and to add to mixing bowl
8. Thinly slice sea bass filet and toss into mixing bowl
9. Season salad with lemon, salt, the rest of the EVOO, and black peppercorn
10. On a separate plate, create a base of Greek yogurt to plate salad on.
11. Spread the mixed salad on yogurt bed.
NOTE: If you can't source green chickpeas and raw green almonds, substitute with 2 cups canned chickpeas and 1/2 cup toasted almonds.