No wonder this is the quintessential salad from Israel. Even though half of the country is desert, Israel has some amazing produce. Its oranges, mangoes and tomatoes are among the finest in the world.
I used to buy Israeli salad all the time, because it's so good, so healthy for you and so refreshing. But I always felt guilty when I got to the checkout line, because it's so expensive. That was before I knew how easy it was to make it yourself. Now I just buy tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, and return home with zero guilt!
Related Recipe: Beefed-Up Israeli Salad
- Prep Time
- 2 Kirby or 3 Persian cucumbers, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, veins removed, diced
- 10 grape tomatoes, quartered, or 1 beefsteak tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, za'atar spice blend or additional parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. Combine cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, lemon juice, oil parsley, salt and pepper in medium-sized bowl and mix well.
2. Chill for 1 hour.
3. Just before serving, garnish salad with fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER