Mujadara is the popular Middle Eastern rice dish studded with lentils and sweet caramelized onions. We added chickpeas to make it even more substantial so it can be eaten as a hearty side or even a vegan main.
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups cooked lentils (or 1 cup dry lentils dry cooked in 2 cups vegetable broth)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: parsley (optional)
- If using dry lentils, rinse lentils and simmer in broth for 20 minutes, until just tender. Drain and set aside. Skip this step if using cooked lentils.
- Caramelize onions in a large sauté pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium-high heat until dark brown and very fragrant, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes to soften garlic.
- Simmer rice in 3 cups of water, for 15 minutes, until the level of water is even with the level of rice. Add lentils and drained chickpeas to rice. Remove from heat, cover and steam rice mixture for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Plate rice mixture on a platter or bowl, top with onion mixture, garnish with parsley and serve.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.