This easy, simple side comes together with minutes, and goes with almost anything. Pack it on family picnics, stash a container in your lunchbox, or serve it as a salad for Shabbat.
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups whole wheat Israeli couscous
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts, pistachios, or almonds
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a medium saucepan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium heat. Add onion and sweat for 7 minutes, until translucent and soft.
2. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes more until soft.
3. Add couscous, stirring occasionally, until toasted and lightly browned.
4. Add broth and cover. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until couscous is slightly al dente.
5. Toss in pine nuts, red pepper, parsley, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, and additional evoo for richness and flavor. Serve hot or cold.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.