Make this potato cake benedict as a yummy breakfast alternative or as a bigger dish for a dairy meal. Check out recipe here.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 Idaho potatoes
- 2 cups raw corn kernels
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup chipotle sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic in oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 quart blended whole liquid egg
- 1 gallon Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- Oil as needed for deep-frying
- 72 marinated asparagus spears
- 24 poached eggs
- 6 cups Hollandaise sauce
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 36 strawberries
- 12 cantaloupe wedges
1. In saucepan, cover potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-heat heat and boil until potatoes are easily pierced with fork, 30-40 minutes. Drain well.
2. Place potatoes in bowl of mixer; mix on low speed.
3. Add corn, cheeses, chipotle sauce, sour cream, green onions, salt, Cajun seasoning cilantro, garlic, lime juice, pepper and cumin to potatoes. Continue mixing on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated and mixture is uniform in color and texture, 2-3 minutes.
4. Transfer potato mixture to full-size pan. Chill at least 30 minutes.
5. When mixture is cool, using a level #12 scoop, scoop potato mixture onto parchment-lined sheet tray. Shape each scoop into a cake shape about the size of a crab cake.
6. Season flour with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge each formed cake into seasoned flour; dip in liquid egg; dredge in bread crumbs. Transfer to clean parchment-lined sheet tray. Cover cakes; label and refrigerate.
7. Fry potato cakes in hot fryer until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, broil 6 asparagus spears until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
9. To plate: Place 2 cooked potato cakes on half of white dinner plate. Top each potato cake with 3 spears broiled asparagus at slight angle with tips facing outward. Place 1 poached egg atop asparagus on each cake.
10. Drizzle 2 ounces hollandaise over each egg. (All ingredients should be visible under hollandaise.) Sprinkle eggs with 2 teaspoons diced tomato.
11. Garnish each portion with 3 strawberries and 1 cantaloupe wedge.
Source: Idaho Potato Commission