- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- Vegetable oil as needed for deep frying
- 3 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes, cored, cut in 3/4-inch wedges
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 Wash cubed potatoes in three successive rinses of cold water to remove starch.
2 Pat dry with paper towel.
3 Deep-fry potato cubes in 370°F oil until light gold and tender, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
4 Combine tomatoes, celery, shallot, olives, olive oil, vinegar, basil, chives, salt and pepper.
5 Let sit at room temperature at least 15 minutes, but no more than 60 minutes, to develop flavors.
6 Just before service, re-fry potato cubes in 370°F oil until golden brown and crispy, about 1 minute.
7 Drain on paper towels. Salt lightly to taste. Toss warm potato cubes with tomato mixture.
8 Serve immediately, about 1 cup per portion.
Source: Idaho Potato Commission