This is fun recipe to make because of the unique technique of freezing and then grating the shortbread dough before topping with the cranberry jam. A top layer of grated dough gives the finished product an interesting texture.
- 20 pieces ServingsServings
For the Shortbread
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound unsalted butter (4 sticks)
- 2 cup sugar
For the Jam:
- 16 ounce fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon orange zest (grated orange peel)
Prepare the Shortbread
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder; set aside.
- With mixer on high, cream butter until light and fluffy. Next add egg yolks and 2 cups sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved and mixture is light.
- Switch mixer to low and add dry ingredients previously set aside. Mix only until incorporated. Make 2 balls, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze 30 minutes.
Prepare the Jam
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, orange juice, 1 cup sugar and orange zest. Simmer stirring often until cranberries are softened. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Assemble the Shortbread -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using one ball, grate with coarse grater into 9 x 12-inch pan. Press down lightly. Cover with jam. With second ball, repeat with grater.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting