My inspiration for the following warm and cozy cocktail comes from the Spanish custom of eating fried churros together with a thick cup of pudding-like hot cocoa. If you think fried “Churros con Chocolate” sounds like an amazing combination, wait til you try fried Classic Sufganiyot with Hot-Shickered Cocoa.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 drops lemon bitters
- 8 ounces pareve dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 8 ounces coffee liqueur, dark rum, or peppermint schnapps
- Warm sufganiyot (recipe link under photo)
1. In a medium pot, add almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne, sea salt, sugar, and bitters and place over low heat. Simmer gently for 15 minutes; do not boil or milk might scald.
2. While almond milk mixture is warming, place chopped chocolate into a tempered pitcher. With a strainer over the pitcher, pour hot, spiced milk into the chocolate filled pitcher. Whisk well to combine and melt chocolate.
3. Pre-heat 8 cups or mugs. Add one ounce of coffee liqueur, rum, or schnapps per cup/mug. Fill each with hot-spiced milk chocolate.
4. Serve with warm sufganiyot to dip into your “shickered” cocoa.