Yes, liberties were taken with this version of hot chocolate and with the famous Italian coffee favorite. But, sometimes coffee and chocolate are best friends and just need to be together.
For an iced version of this beverage, freeze the finished beverage. Pulse in a blender or food processor and serve with garnishes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee or espresso
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Garnishes: whipped cream, marshmallows, shaved chocolate, chocolate covered coffee beans (crushed), cocoa nibs, coffee liqueur, scoop of vanilla ice cream
1. Simmer coffee, milk, chocolate, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt, whisking occasionally, until chocolate has melted and the mixture is hot and foamy.
2. Divide between mugs and serve with garnishes.