This Honey Glazed Apple Roast Chicken is the perfect dish for a special occasion, and simple enough for a weeknight meal. The combination of the sweet honey and apples makes a wonderfully sweet pairing, just in time for Rosh Hashanah dinner! It's quick and easy to prep, then pop it in the oven and forget about it for ninety minutes while you relax and/or prepare your other dishes. Plus, your house will smell divine!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 servingsServings
- 1 whole organic chicken (4-5 pounds)
- 1 apple, cut into wedges
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound small yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 1/4 cup honey
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Stuff the apple, lemon wedges, and rosemary sprigs inside the cavity until completely full. Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together.
2. Brush the outside of the chicken generously with the melted margarine and olive oil. Sprinkle on the salt and pepper.
3. In a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet or roasting pan, add the potatoes and onion. Use them as a bed to lay the chicken on top. Place the chicken on the potatoes and onions and put in the oven on the middle or lower rack. Roast for 90 minutes.
4. After 90 minutes, remove from oven, brush with honey and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Watch chicken carefully, as honey can burn quickly. Let chicken sit for at least 10 minutes before serving, or serve at room temperature with the pan juices.