This stuffing works both in a pan or inside a turkey. You can prep the cornbread part of the recipe up to 1 month in advance. Just cool, tightly wrap in foil or a resealable bag, and freeze. Or, make the cornbread up to 3 days in advance, cool, wrap, and refrigerate. Let cornbread come to room temperature before adding it to the stuffing.
If you're a fan of crispy edges, then try our individual muffin-cup version. Just grease a 12-cup muffin pan, spoon in the stuffing, and bake.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 to 8Servings
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups frozen corn, processed in a food processor to a puree
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 batches of cornbread, crumbled by hand or a food processor
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 to 2 cups of chicken or turkey broth, to moisten
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch pan, or a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, corn puree, coconut milk, honey, and evoo together.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake at 400°F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Cool cornbread. Wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month. Let cornbread come to room temperature before crumbling for stuffing.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Skip this step if you’re baking this recipe inside a turkey.
2. Lightly coat a large sauté pan with 2 teaspoons of evoo, and place over medium-high heat. In batches, sauté onions and celery until dark brown. Season each batch with salt and pepper.
3. Add garlic to the last batch, and cook until slightly softened and very fragrant.
4. Combine onion mixture with parsley, thyme, sage, crumbled cornbread, and dried cranberries. Season with salt and pepper. Moisten stuffing with broth so that it just comes together.
5. Bake in 350°F oven for 30 to 45 minutes. Or, if cooking inside a turkey, store dry mixture in refrigerator, then moisten with broth just before stuffing. Serve warm.