Apples and honey come together to make this strudel without added sugar.
Strudel only seems hard, give it a try.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
4 apples such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp, peeled, cored, and cut into quarters and then cut crosswise into ¼-inch pieces
2 tablespoons lemon juice
⅓ cup honey
1½ teaspoons cinnamon plus ½ teaspoon for sprinkling
½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
½ cup dried and chopped apricots or raisins
½ cup dried bread crumbs
8 phyllo sheets, thawed
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Garnish: drizzle of honey for serving
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, toss apples, lemon juice, honey, cinnamon, salt, apricots or raisins, and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on lined pan. Brush with evoo and continue layering and brushing remaining phyllo.
- Scatter apples on phyllo, being sure to leave a ½-inch border. Roll phyllo, starting on the long side, to enclose filling. Tuck seam under.
- Brush top with evoo and sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon. Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slice with a serrated knife and drizzle with honey before serving.