Start eating right with these homemade burgers, packed with veggies and other healthy ingredients. Here’s your chance to sneak a maximum of nutrition-packed vegetables and grains in your food!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup flour, any flour including gluten-free, plus a little more if necessary to make the mixture stick
- 4 eggs
- 1 large onion, grated very fine (use a food processor)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups shredded vegetables: carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, celery root, turnips, parsnips, mushrooms; or minced frozen vegetables- cauliflower, broccoli,spinach, kale etc., in any combination you like.
- Your favorite seasonings such as oregano, thyme, cinnamon, cumin, curry, etc. (No garlic powder!)
1. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, about 1∕3 inch high, until very hot. Keep the temperature medium-high.
2. Mix all remaining ingredients thoroughly in a bowl, adding a little extra flour if necessary to make the mixture stick. Form patties and throw them in the hot oil. Fry until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Take out with a slotted spoon and transfer onto a plate lined with paper towels. You will get about 16 patties total.
3. Serve hot, alone, or with your favorite sauce and burger toppings.
They will freeze very well. Reheat them in one layer in a 300° oven for 12-15 minutes.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now