It's worth the effort to have fresh-made pasta.
- Prep Time
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or pastry flour, (more for dusting)
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place the flour in a large bowl; make a hole in the middle and add the eggs, the water and a big pinch of salt salt.
2. Start incorporating the eggs and water going from the inside out, then start kneading until it forms a mass.
3. Transfer dough to a lightly floured board and knead for 8 minutes. Add the oil and knead for 1 more minute.
4. Wrap in plastic, and let rest for 40 minutes at room temperature before rolling with a rolling pin or a manual pasta machine on the widest setting.
5. Cut the dough into 8 pieces: run each piece through the machine, then fold in half and do it again, moving to narrower settings after 2 passes and continuing to dust with flour to prevent sticking, until pasta sheet is nice and thin. If rolling with the rolling pin, keep folding the pieces in half and re-rolling, adding flour to prevent the dough from sticking, till the pasta is thin enough.