Why settle for store-bought when you can make your own marinara sauce? Play around with spices to get the special taste that's great for your family.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cupsServings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups water
1. Heat olive oil on a medium-high flame in a medium stock pot and then add oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Give a few good stirs to release the flavors of the spices.
2. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and cook down for another 5 minutes or until they start to fall apart.
4. Add tomato puree and water, and cook over a medium flame for 20 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
As seen in the Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine (Spring 2013) - Subscribe Now