This flavorful condiment is perfect on burgers or with other meat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cupsServings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small red onion, fine dice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup pale lager
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a small saucepan, then add the onions, stirring occasionally, until they have browned.
2. Add the ketchup, beer, and dates, and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally, and add water as needed to prevent burning. Cook for around 20-25 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and slightly darkened.
3. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the vinegar. Let the mixture cool down a little bit, and then stir in the vinegar. Blend everything together, adding water as needed, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Let cool and store covered, in the fridge, for up to five days. But trust us, it’ll be gone before then!
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.