Layers of color and hearty flavors, the classic hoagie is a delicious party favorite. Be sure to use fresh bread. Each layer of the sandwich adds flavor and texture, so all ingredients count.
- Prep Time
- 2 (12-inch) Italian loaves
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound salami, thinly sliced
- ½ pound roast beef, thinly sliced
- ½ pound roasted turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded head lettuce
- 1 cup pickled Italian peppers
- 1 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- Garnish: football toothpicks with olives, cornichon, pickled jalapeños, Cherry tomatoes, pickle spears
1. Split bread lengthwise and pull out a bit of the dough to create a hollow that will accommodate the filling.
2. Brush both sides of each loaf with vinegar and oil. Season with pepper.
3. Layer salami, roast beef, and turkey on both bottom pieces of bread. Add sliced onion, tomatoes, and peppers. Create a layer of shredded lettuce, peppers, and olives.
4. Drizzle oil and vinegar and sprinkle oregano on top. Top with remaining piece of bread.
5. Skewer olives, cornichon, jalapeños, Cherry tomatoes and pickle spears on toothpicks.
6. Fasten sandwich sections with toothpicks about 4 inches apart and slice. Arrange sandwiches on platter.