These Heavenly Israeli Date Squares have such a rich flavor. The butterscotch tasting Barhi dates are best used in this recipe, but they are hard to find outside of Israel, so you can substitute your favorite variety of fresh dates. Many date square recipes will call for margarine. Because Galilee Green Olive Oil is so light, it won’t overpower the sweet flavor of the dates, and can be used instead of margarine to make a much healthier desert.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 oz. dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon + 1 cup brown sugar (divided)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup Galilee Green Olive Oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups oats (preferably not instant, but instant works)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine dates, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and water in a small pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook stirring often until the dates are soft enough to mash up . Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a bowl, blend flour, baking soda and salt . Add olive oil, brown sugar and oats . Don’t over mix, as the mixture should be crumbly.
4. Press half the mixture in a lightly greased 8 x 8" pan to form the crust . Spread date filling over the crust . Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the dates. Lightly pat down to even out the mixture.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is slightly brown .
Recipe posted with permission from Galilee Green Olive Oil