Easy delicious muffins with the added flavors of blueberry, lemon and cornmeal. You will love these muffins any time of year.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 muffinsServings
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup yellow corn meal
1½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup non-fat or low fat buttermilk zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix flours, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix in the blueberries until coated with flour. Set aside
- In a separate bowl, use a spatula to beat the egg, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and buttermilk together until smooth. Stir in the melted butter.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Stir together until just the wet and dry ingredients are just combined, about 10 strokes. Do not over mix.
- Using a large spoon or an ice cream scoop, swiftly place the batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the muffins are domed, dry to the touch and the sides have slightly pulled away from the pan.
- Makes 12 muffins.
To make this recipe pareve, substitute non-hydrogenated margarine for the butter. Instead of buttermilk, pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar into one cup of soy milk. Set it aside for 10 minutes until it thickens and curdles. Then, add it to the wet ingredients.
- Don't have buttermilk? Make your own by following the pareve substitution, just use milk instead of soy milk.
- This recipe works great in mini-muffin tins. Just check them sooner as they bake faster.