Here is my recipe for Healthy Vegan Hamentashen, using a secret ingredient (aquafaba), and filled with a sweet Date Paste or rich Chocolate Ganache Filling.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons aquafaba (chickpea brine) or flax mixture (3 tablespoons of ground flax seed with 9 tablespoons of water)
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons warm water (if needed)
Date Paste Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups organic dates, pitted
- 1 cup water
Chocolate Ganache Filling:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut cream (separated from a can of coconut liquid by putting in the freezer for 30 minutes and then turning over before opening. The full fat cream will be on top)
- Cookie dough
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Add the aquafaba, water and oil and combine until uniform.
3. Sprinkle flour on a clean surface and on your rolling pin, and roll out the dough until it is between 1/4 and 1/2 cm thick.
4. Using a cookie cutter or a clean glass or jar lid, cut 3" circles of dough and place them on your cookie sheets. Keep combining the scraps of dough until you have used all of it.
5. Drop a 1/2 teaspoon of your chosen filling into the center of each circle of dough.
6. Lift the edges of the dough and fold the sides in to form a triangle (try not to pinch the corners!) For best results, layer the sides so each is overlapped on the left, and overlaps on the right (so that each side is tucked in on one corner)
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the dough has turned a golden colour and is just starting to brown. Remove and let cool.
To prepare Date Paste Filling : Soak the dates in water for 10 minutes to soften. Pour off 1/2 cup of the water and add it and the dates to your food processor or blender, draining off any extra water. Pulse until you have a smooth puree and set aside.
To prepare Chocolate Ganache Filling : Melt the chocolate chips and coconut cream in a small pot and stir frequently on low heat until you have a smooth chocolate sauce. Be careful not to let the chocolate burn. Remove from the burner and let cool while you prepare the cookie dough.