- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6-8 ServingsServings
- 5 medium baking apples, such as McIntosh or Cortland, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 talbespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter such as Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (neutral flavored)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large deep pie plate with cooking spray.
2 Combine apples with sugar, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
3 In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix to blend using fingertips to crumble the butter into the flour evenly.
4 Stir in oil, apple juice, nuts, cardamom and allspice. Mix until moist and clumpy.
5 Remove the foil from the baking dish and cover with topping spreading evenly. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until browned. Serve with whipped topping if desired.