Healthy and delicious pumpkin muffins that can be served as a side dish or eaten as a snack or lunchbox treat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 18 MuffinsServings
- 1 small pumpkin (smaller pumpkins are sweeter)
5 ounces oil, any kind, for baking (plus more for pumpkin)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup sugar
1½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, optional
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Cut pumpkin in half, take out seeds and rub inside with oil.
2. Roast face down at 375° for about 1½ hours until pumpkin meat is soft, let cool.
3. Meanwhile in a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4. Scoop out pumpkin flesh and place in a large bowl. Mix with oil, eggs, banana, and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients using a hand mixer or stand mixer to make it easier.
5. Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups, bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. They are ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Enjoy these muffins fresh or they can also be frozen in a freezer bag and placed in your child's lunch frozen. They will thaw within 30 minutes.