Hawayij (also spelled Hawayej or Hawayij) is a mixture of ground spices originally from Yemen. It is used it soups and coffee, as well as many other dishes in modern Israeli cuisine.
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons black pepper-corns
- 1 tablespoon black caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
Pound peppercorns, caraway seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom seeds, turmeric, and (optional) saffron using a mortar and pestle, or use a small food processor.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now