A truly unique yeast bread perfect for dessert, breakfast or brunch. For best results use the best yeast, RED STAR® Platinum Yeast.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 bunsServings
½ cup tahini
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups crumbled halva
1 cup confectioners sugar
¼ cup tahini
2 tablespoons water
- Mix water, yeast, ½ cup of flour and salt in a bowl of a stand mixer. Cover with a towel and let stand until the surface is spongy and foamy.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix in 2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk, sugar and evoo.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing for 30 seconds until incorporated. Change to the dough hook. and knead for 5 minutes until it forms a smooth, soft dough that’s slightly tacky when squeezed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead a few turns until smooth. Grease a large bowl with evoo. Place dough in bowl, and turn dough to coat with oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough into a thin rectangular shape about 24 inches long by 10 to 14 inches wide. Spread tahini evenly over the surface of the dough. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt, sprinkle over the tahini. Top with crumbled halva. Working from the longer side gently roll up the dough like a jelly roll and slice into 12 equal pieces. Place in 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together confectioners sugar, water and tahini to make a glaze. Drizzle over halva buns and serve warm or room temperature.