- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 heads of Romaine hearts, cut in half, washed and dried
- 2 heads red leaf lettuce, cored, cut in half, washed and dried
- 2 heads of Italian radicchio, cored and cut in half
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish-sea salt
1. Preheat the grill to medium high or heat a grill pan over medium heat.
2. Brush the lettuce, radicchio and lemon halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the lettuce, radicchio and lemons cut side down in the pre-heated surface and grill for 5-7 minutes until the lettuces and radicchio are a bit charred and slightly limp. Grill the other side for another 2 minutes
4. Remove the lemons when they are very dark brown (about 10-15 minutes.
5. Transfer to a platter and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
You grill this delicious side dish or salad indoors or out. The lettuce gets a caramelized smoky-charred flavor. I like to grill lemon halves with it and present them with the lettuces on a platter with an attractive bowl of olive oil so everyone can dress their own.