Editor's Note: These bite-sized Grilled Homemade Nutella and Banana Dreidel Sandwiches are a gooey treat that kids will love for Channukah. Serve them as a snack or at your Channukah party!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 3/4 cups whole hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 - 4 pinches of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or safflower oil of choice
- 5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 4 pieces of whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3" dreidel cookie cutter
1. Set the oven to 400°F.
2. Place hazelnuts on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Shake the pan after about 4 minutes or so, to rotate them. Once roasted, remove the pan from the oven. Let the hazelnuts cool for about 5 minutes.
3. Place the hazelnuts inside a kitchen towel, making a pouch, and then rub the hazelnuts inside the towel to take off the skins.
4. Place the nuts into a food processor or high-speed blender. Add the oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Blend slowly, starting on a low setting then moving higher.
5. Add cocoa powder and salt. Blend again for a few minutes.
6. Add the almond milk slowly, staring with 1/3 cup. Blend. Add more if you desire.
1. Cut dreidel shapes out of the bread. If you are careful, you can probably get 2 dreidels per piece of bread.
2. Spread each dreidel bread with Nutella.
3. Place banana slices on top of Nutella on one piece of dreidel bread. Then top with other piece of dreidel bread with the Nutella side down - on top of the bananas.
4. Heat sunflower oil in a skillet on medium heat and place dreidel sandwiches into the pan. lightly press sandwiches down and flip once they are golden brown and a bit crispy - just like a grilled cheese sandwich. Serve hot.
Adapted from the blog The Dainty Pig.