These gorgeous kabobs make a beautiful summer supper. Easy to assemble and cook, this recipe allows the cook to enjoy dinner as well.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of crushed red chilies
- 1 large shallot, minced
- Zest and juice of medium orange
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each cut into 6 strips
- 12 ripe figs, cut in half, lengthwise + 6 ripe figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
Equipment: Wooden or metal skewers
1. Whisk the white wine, garlic cloves, olive oil, shallot, orange juice and zest and basil in a medium bowl. Add the cut up chicken strips and halved figs and marinate for 2 hours.
2. Simmer the chopped figs, balsamic and brown sugar until the mixture is very thick and syrupy, (about 15 minutes). Remove from the heat and let steep for 1 hour, then pour through a strainer. Discard the chopped figs.
3. Remove the chicken and halved figs from the marinade and discard the marinade. Thread the chicken and figs onto skewers. Salt and pepper each skewer.
4. Grill the skewers over medium heat or roast in a 350 degree oven and baste with the fig-balsamic until the chicken is cooked through (about 10-15 minutes).
5. Serve with rice, pasta or potatoes.