These Green Tea Poached Peaches are a lovely Summer dessert topped with pistachios, orange zest, fresh mint and a little sugar but you can also eat them for breakfast with plain Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey! No reason to be intimidated by the word “poach”. It literally means to cook something without it’s shell in boiling liquid. So really, all you have to do is simmer peeled peaches (pears would be delicious also) in a sweet green tea broth and that’s it!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 juicy peaches
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons green tea leaves
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, no pith
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
1. Place peaches in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high in the microwave for 1 minute. If you don’t have a microwave, you can also pour boiling water over the peaches and leave them in the bowl for 1 minute to steam. Remove peaches, let stand 1 minute to cool slightly then remove the skin of each peach. Discard the skin and set the peaches aside while you prepare the green tea.
2. Bring the water to a boil in a pot wide enough to fit all 4 peaches on one level (the peaches should not be piled on top of each other) then add the green tea leaves, take the pot off the stove and steep the green tea for 5 minutes. Pour the brewed green tea through a cheesecloth or mesh sieve to remove the leaves then pour the tea back in the pot.
3. Add the honey, fresh ginger and orange peel to the pot of green tea and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the honey. Add the peaches to the pot, lower the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, flipping the peaches every 5 minutes to make sure all sides are poached properly.
4. Remove the peaches from the pot with a slotted spoon and place them on a serving platter. Discard the ginger and orange peel then raise the heat to high and boil the green tea uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced to a loose syrup.
5. Pour the green tea syrup over the peaches, top with a mixture of the orange zest, sugar and fresh mint then sprinkle with pistachios. Enjoy!