I have finally figured out a way to make a parve (non-dairy) green bean casserole!
Growing up, my family did not keep kosher and my mother always made the "traditional" green bean casserole with the canned dairy mushroom soup. I have missed eating that traditional dish during the Thanksgiving holiday. This is my interpretation of the dish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup non-dairy creamer or coconut milk
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans french style cut green beans
- 1 can French's onion rings
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt vegan butter in 5 quart pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook over low heat for 1 minute.
3. Stir in vegetable broth (parve) or chicken broth (meat) and non-dairy creamer or coconut milk.
4. Stir until thickened and bubbling. Add canned mushrooms and green beans. Place in a casserole dish and bake in over for 25 minutes.
5. Top with french onion rings and bake additional 5 minutes or until onion rings are golden.