The other day I happened to add a little goat cheese to some sautéed mushrooms and when the cheese melted in I was pleasantly surprised by the creamy mushroom taste. I took this premise and added in some just blanched green beans, placed it in the oven and discovered a new favorite vegetable side.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 (8-ounce) container sliced crimini mushrooms
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (4-ounce) log of plain or herbed goat cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs or fried onions (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook for about 1 minute until they turn bright green. Remove to a colander and rinse under cold water.
2. In a large frying pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and heat over medium high. Add mushrooms and sauté until brown.
3. Add in goat cheese and mix well while goat cheese is melting.
4. Toss in green beans, mixing everything well and taste for seasoning.
Tip: This dish can be eaten from the pan, literally, but if you place it in ramekins or a larger casserole you can even top with bread crumbs or even fried onions and bake for about 20 minutes at 350, you will have something very close to the original green bean casserole, but healthier and easier.