Take the flavors of a Greek salad and put it in some wheat berries, any hearty grain will work and enjoy this satisfying salad as a meal or side. Perfect for Summer picnics or bagged lunches.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup peperoncini – stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 3/4 cup diced feta cheese
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or good-quality dried
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced seedless cucumber
- 3/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water a boil. Add 1 cup wheat berries, cover the saucepan and simmer over low heat until they are tender but still chewy, about 45 minutes. Drain well and let stand until cool.
Meanwhile in a medium bowl, mix the chopped kalamata olives and pepperoncini and feta cheese with the olive oil. in a small bowl whisk lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper, and adjust flavor to taste.
When ready to serve, in a large bowl toss the wheat berries with the cucumber, tomatoes, scallion, red onion and olive/ peperoncini mixture. pour dressing over and toss to coat. enjoy.