This dairy-free gluten free Quick Challah can be made in just a few hours from start to finish. The dough is more like a thick batter, but the baked bread has a great crumb. It also makes great sandwich bread.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- About a 2 pound loaf or round ServingsServings
- 300 grams GF AP flour (150 superfine brown rice flour, 75 grams each superfine white rice flour and tapioca starch/flour) (about 2 1/3 cups)
- 50 grams tapioca starch/flour (5 tablespoons)
- 60 grams superfine sweet white rice flour (5 tablespoons)
- 50 grams Expandex Modified Tapioca Starch/Flour (5 tablespoons) or tapioca starch/flour
- 4 heaping tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons instant or bread machine Red Star Yeast
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon pectin
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 240 grams egg (4 whole extra-large eggs)
- 60 grams egg yolks (3 extra-large egg yolks)
- 2 tablespoons Lyle’s Golden Syrup or honey
- 75 grams canola oil (heaping 1/3 cup)
- 100-130 grams Pellegrino Mineral Water (1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons)
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten - for brushing top of dough
- 1-2 tablespoons white sesame or poppy seeds
1. Place flours, starches, sugar, yeast, salt, xanthan gum, pectin and guar gum in a stand mixer bowl and whisk. In another small container whisk 4 whole extra-large eggs, 3 extra-large egg yolks, honey or Lyle’s syrup and canola oil.
2. Add 100 grams Pellegrino to dry mixture. Add egg/oil mixture to dry mixture. Using a fork work the flour mixture into the wet until it is just combined. Place on stand and using dough hook, mix on speed 2 or 3 for about 5-7 minutes or until dough looks shiny and stretchy. If the
dough looks very sticky and tough, add up to 30 grams Pellegrino.
3. Grease a tube pan or a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Wipe out excess. Place dough all around the bottom of the tube or loaf pan using a silicone spatula. Wet the spatula with water and smooth the dough. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a draft free
place until double or nearly to the top, about 1.5 to 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350. Place a cast iron skillet or other heatproof pan (not glass) on the bottom rack to heat up with the oven.
5. Beat remaining egg and brush it gently over the top of the bread. Repeat. Sprinkle top with poppy or sesame seeds. Right before putting the bread in the oven, place a large handful of ice cubes in the hot cast iron skillet or heatproof (not glass) pan in the oven to create steam. Be
careful to not burn yourself.
6. Place bread in the oven and time for 12 minutes. Remove cast iron or heat proof pan carefully. Time the bread for another 20 minutes and remove when the internal temperature is 185 to 190 degrees and the top is pale golden brown. Don’t over bake the bread or it will be a
little tough. Let cool for a couple of minutes in the pan and then remove bread from pan and cool completely on a rack.