We were very excited to use Grow & Behold's, Sara's Spring Chicken when making this recipe as their products have the reputation to be of the highest quality. In addition to being Glatt Kosher, Grow & Behold's birds are pasture raised.
As soon as the birds are large enough to be moved outside, they spend their entire lives on grass. They live in spacious, movable pens that are moved each day allowing them to access a growing salad bar of natural food.
The birds are also fed a special blend of non-GMO food. This chicken tastes fresh and pure. When making this recipe, we highly recommend you order your chicken from Grow & Behold.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 Grow & Behold Whole Chicken (2.5-3.5 lb)
- 10 Lemons
2 cans of chicken broth (10.5 oz, each)
½ cup of thyme
1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
¼ cup of olive oil
- Pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place your chicken on a baking rack inside the roasting pan.
3. Pat the chicken dry. Using a pastry brush, generously brush the inside and outside of the chicken with olive oil.
4. Lightly sprinkle pepper inside and outside of the chicken.
5. Thinly slice 1 lemon and place about 4-5 of those slices inside the cavity of the chicken. [The cavity is the hollow space of the chicken].
6. Add 1/4 tablespoon of thyme inside the cavity.
7. Coat the bottom of your roasting pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Line the pan with 1 lemon thinly sliced.
8. Using your pastry brush, lightly coat the chicken with crushed garlic.
9. In a large measuring cup squeeze 1 cup of lemon juice. Add 1 can of chicken broth. Mix well.
10. Pour mixture on the chicken.
11. Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
12. Lower oven temperature to 250°F and cook for 1 hour.
13. Remove the chicken from the oven. Take the second can of chicken broth and pour over the chicken.
14. Thinly slice an additional lemon and place on top and around the chicken. Add 1/4 cup of thyme and sprinkle on top and around the chicken as well. (You can leave the thyme on the stem if you would like).
15. Place back in the oven for 45 minutes.
16. Remove the chicken from the oven and tightly cover so that the chicken doesn't dry out. Place back in the oven for an additional 30 minutes.