Try one of our favorite brisket recipes - with the sweet honey marinade, it's perfect for Rosh Hashanah.
Tip: The brisket and marinade can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance before baking.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 to 10Servings
- 1 (4-pound) brisket
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine honey, mustard, garlic, orange juice, lemon juice, chili flakes, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl, whisking to blend well.
2. Place the brisket in a sealable plastic bag. Add the marinade, seal, and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
3. Remove brisket from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
4. Heat evoo in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove brisket from marinade (reserve marinade) and sear 5 minutes per side or until nicely browned.
5. Pour marinade from plastic bag over brisket, add 3 cups chicken broth, cover, and bake at 350°F for 3 hours or until tender.
6. Remove brisket to a cutting board and let rest at least 15 minutes before slicing against the grain.
5. Transfer braising liquid to an unheated saucepan. Skim off the fat. Reduce the liquid by boiling on medium-high, uncovered, until it coats the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over sliced brisket and serve.
From the Joy of Kosher Cookbook, order your copy for 199 more recipes.