I hope you enjoy this recipe for Fusilli with Red Pepper, Goat Cheese and Basil which is just perfect for a dairy day of Chanukah.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 1 pound fusili, or other twisted pasta
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 15 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeds and ribs discarded, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 medium red onion, quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 cup pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup vinegar brine drained from Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 pound rindless goat cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup of oil with the garlic and red pepper flakes in a large skillet. Cook over low heat until the garlic is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the red bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables wilt, about 10 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
3. Add the fusili to the water and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Scoop out and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and return to the cooking pot.
4. Add the reserved vegetables, olives, basil, and butter to the pasta. Mix, adding enough of the reserved pasta water to make a light sauce. Add the goat cheese and mix again. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Recipe: courtesy of Jeff Nathan's Family Suppers.