Spinach, pastrami and brisket stuffed matzo balls are an amazing trio. They can be served in soup or made even better when crisped and served up with matching dipping sauces.
You can also use my classic matzo ball recipe instead of a mix and then follow the filling and stuffing.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- about 24 Matzo Ball DippersServings
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for shaping and browning
2 (4.5-ounce) boxes matzo ball mix
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 packed tablespoons thawed frozen spinach (squeeze out excess liquid)
- 2 slices pastrami, minced
- 2 slices cooked brisket, small dice
- Dips: spicy mustard, BBQ sauce, chili sauce
1. Place eggs, extra virgin olive oil, and 2 pouches of matzo ball mix in a large mixing bowl. Add a generous pinch salt and pepper. Blend with a spatula.
2. Divide batter evenly between three bowls.
3. Mix spinach into the 1st bowl of matzo ball batter. Mix pastrami into the 2nd bowl of matzo ball batter. The 3rd bowl is the classic batter with no mix-ins.
4. Refrigerate all 3 batters for 10 minutes.
5. With wet or lightly oiled hands form spinach and pastrami batters into 1-inch sized balls. Flatten a small portion (about 2 to 3 teaspoons) of classic matzo ball batter into the palm of your hand. Place 1 piece of diced brisket in the center. Fold over the batter to encase brisket. Form into a round 1-inch sized ball. Repeat with remaining batter.
6. Drop matzo balls into boiling broth or heavily salted boiling water. Allowing room for matzo balls to double in size. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pot. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minute turning matzo balls occasionally.
7. Remove matzo balls to a paper towel lined plate and gently blot with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
8. Heat a large sauté pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium heat. Brown matzo balls until golden and crisp on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
9. Serve Matzo Ball Dippers warm with spicy mustard, chili and BBQ sauces.