These have made roast potatoes a thing of the past in our home over Pesach!
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 large potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tablespoons potato flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder (I use Gefen)
- 1 heaped teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
1. Boil or microwave the potatoes (whole and in their skins) until soft. Allow to cool, then peel and coarsely grate into a large bowl. You can also use a potato ricer.
2. Whisk the eggs and add them to the potatoes with the potato flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well to form a soft, but not too sticky, dough. Sprinkle some potato flour onto a board and start rolling pieces of the dough into long thin sausages - about 1/2 " in diameter. Slice these into 2 cm pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and deep-fry the gnocchi until golden brown.
4. They can be served immediately or reheated (uncovered) in the oven to regain their crispiness.
5. Instead of frying, you can cook the gnocchi in a pot of boiling salted water. Put only five or six into the pot at a time, as you want the water to boil continuously. When they are cooked, they will float to the top. They can also served with your favourite ready-made pasta sauce.