- 8 large tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze out the seeds.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-30 minutes, or until it has reached the desired consistency.
Makes enough sauce for one pound of pasta.
Note: some people peel the tomatoes first (immerse them for 20 seconds in boiling water, rinse and peel with a sharp paring knife starting from the stem end). I don’t bother for chunky tomato sauce.